Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Easy, great tasting tuna coated with sesame seeds, and quickly seared. This tuna is served rare, so be sure to use a good quality fresh tuna.
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin (Japanese sweet wine)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 4 (6 ounce) tuna steaks
- 1⁄2 cup sesame seeds
- wasabi paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, mirin, honey and sesame oil. Divide into two equal parts. Stir the rice vinegar into one part and set aside as a dipping sauce.
- Coat the tuna steaks with the remaining soy sauce mixture. Spread the sesame seeds out on a plate, then press the tuna into the sesame seeds to coat.
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet over high heat until very hot. Place steaks in the pan, and sear for about 30 seconds on each side. Serve with the dipping sauce and wasabi paste.
I made this for a girls get together yesterday. Served it with a seaweed salad. Very light and refreshing. Will be adding to our Xmas seafood lunch. I made this for the Let's P-A-R-T-Y December Cooking event 2009. Making this again for NYE party 2009 and serving small portions with drinks.