Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 min
Recipe from the Santa Cafe in Santa Fe, I adopted this recipe and have actually had the pleasure of the original poster cooking it for me (IHHDRO)
- 1 tuna, loin preferably ahi (3 X 6 inch "log" o)
- 2 tablespoons chimayo chili powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander, toasted and ground
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed, toasted and ground
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Thoroughly and evenly coat the outside of the Tuna loin with the spice mixture.
- Sear the Tuna in 2 tablespoons of oil in a very hot skillet for approximately 15 seconds per side.
- Allow to cool and slice.
This was wonderful and a very fun treat. Fresh seafood in Arizona is not something I get a chance to eat a whole lot of. The success of this recipe can be attributed to the well written and concise directions. I used albecore tuna steaks as it was "on ad" at my grocery store. I found the fish to be a firm and solid meat to work with. The spices are flavorful and spicy with out being hot. This was my first time using Kosher salt and I think is absolutely supreme to the usual table salt. Also, this recipe could not be any easier to cook. The spice mixture would be great with other seafoods too. Thanks for sharing this recipe Mean Chef.