Prep 10 hrs 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
This magnificent rare beef salad is perfect for summer entertaining. Adapted from a recipe by Kate Lamont.
- 680.38 g beef tenderloin
- olive oil to rub beef
- salt and pepper (to season)
- 198.44 g stringless baby green beans
- 4 roasted red bell capsicums
- 6 medium vine-ripened tomatoes
- 473.18 ml flatleaf fresh parsley leaves
- 1419.54 ml assorted salad greens
- 5 slice robust bread (around 5 days old)
- olive oil, to drizzle over bread
Reduced Balsamic Dressing
- 473.18 ml balsamic vinegar
- 236.59 ml port wine
- 14.79 ml brown sugar
- 236.59 ml tarragon aioli (see Tarragon Aioli)
- Preheat oven to 425F (220C).
- While the oven is heating, bring the beef to room temperature, and make the balsamic dressing: Place the balsamic vinegar, port and brown sugar in a medium-sized sized saucepan, and stir. Bring to the boil, then immediately reduce heat, and simmer until reduced to less than 1 cup of syrup. Cool.
- Rub the beef with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Tie it with kitchen string so that it retains its shape.
- Heat a heavy, preferably non-stick skillet, and seal the meat on all sides.
- Place seared beef on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 15 minutes, or longer to your preference. Allow it to rest, in a warm place, for 30 minutes.
- While the oven is still on and the meat is resting, place the bread on a baking tray, drizzle or brush with olive oil, and bake until golden. Cool.
- Meanwhile prepare the salad: Blanch the beans in boiling salted water for 2 to 3 minutes, until barely cooked. They should remain crisp. Refresh in hot water immediately, then drain. Peel and slice the roasted red bell peppers into bite-sized pieces. Skin, seed and dice the tomatoes.
- Slice beef and transfer it to a suitable-sized serving bowl, along with the juices.
- Add the salad ingredients - beans, bell peppers, tomatoes, parsley, salad greens, and bread - and mix together gently.
- Fold through the tarragon aioli.
- Serve drizzled with reduced balsamic.