11 hrs 15 mins
10 hrs 45 mins
This magnificent rare beef salad is perfect for summer entertaining. Adapted from a recipe by Kate Lamont.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 7 ounces stringless baby green beans
- 4 roasted red bell capsicums
- 6 medium vine-ripened tomatoes
- 2 cups flatleaf fresh parsley leaves
- 6 cups assorted salad greens
- 5 slices robust bread (around 5 days old)
- olive oil, to drizzle over bread
Reduced Balsamic Dressing
- 1Preheat oven to 425F (220C).
- 2While the oven is heating, bring the beef to room temperature, and make the balsamic dressing: Place the balsamic vinegar, port and brown sugar in a medium-sized sized saucepan, and stir. Bring to the boil, then immediately reduce heat, and simmer until reduced to less than 1 cup of syrup. Cool.
- 3Rub the beef with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Tie it with kitchen string so that it retains its shape.
- 4Heat a heavy, preferably non-stick skillet, and seal the meat on all sides.
- 5Place seared beef on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 15 minutes, or longer to your preference. Allow it to rest, in a warm place, for 30 minutes.
- 6While the oven is still on and the meat is resting, place the bread on a baking tray, drizzle or brush with olive oil, and bake until golden. Cool.
- 7Meanwhile prepare the salad: Blanch the beans in boiling salted water for 2 to 3 minutes, until barely cooked. They should remain crisp. Refresh in hot water immediately, then drain. Peel and slice the roasted red bell peppers into bite-sized pieces. Skin, seed and dice the tomatoes.
- 8Slice beef and transfer it to a suitable-sized serving bowl, along with the juices.
- 9Add the salad ingredients - beans, bell peppers, tomatoes, parsley, salad greens, and bread - and mix together gently.
- 10Fold through the tarragon aioli.
- 11Serve drizzled with reduced balsamic.
Browse Our Top Lettuces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lettuces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rare Beef Salad With Tarragon Aioli and Balsamic Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (588 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 523.0
- Calories from Fat 218
- Total Fat 24.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 97.4 mg
- Sodium 255.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 34.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: