Recipe by janem123
This recipe was in a book that came with my Black and Decker bread machine. This is not traditional cornbread, but is tasty anyway.
Top Review by Chocolatl
I made this to serve with chili. I used the regular light crust cycle rather than the rapid cycle, because I don't trust the rapid cycle on my machine. I don't put it in a bag, because that steams the bread and makes it wet and mushy. Instead, I brush the crust with a little melted butter. In spite of these deviations, this is a very good bread recipe. It is nothing like a traditional cornbread, but rather a light wheat bread flavored with cornmeal. I would very definitely make this again. Made for Bargain Basement Tag.
- 1 egg, beaten
- water (quantity varies)
- 2 tablespoons powdered milk
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons yeast
Directions See How It's Made
- Add enough water to the beaten egg to equal 1 1/3 cups.
- Follow directions for your bread machine.
- My machine instructs to measure ingredients in the order listed into the baking pan. (I heat the water/egg mixture in the microwave for about 30 seconds before putting in pan.).
- Insert baking pan into oven chamber and secure pan.
- Select rapid setting and 2 pound loaf.
- When cycle ends, I put the loaf in a large zip lock bag, seal the bag, and plae on a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.