Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe was in a book that came with my old Black and Decker bread machine.
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- Follow instructions for your bread machine.
- My machine instructs to measure all ingredients in the order listed into the baking pan. (I microwave the buttermilk on high for about 30 seconds before adding it to the pan.).
- Insert baking pan into oven chamber and secure the pan. Close lid.
- Select rapid cycle and 2 pound loaf.
- When cycle is complete, I remove the loaf, place it in a large zip lock bag, seal the bag, and place on a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
Yummy! I generally prefer bread made in the oven as I don't care for the crust on bread machine loaves, but every now and again I just get a craving for fresh, hot bread and I need something FAST. This fit the bill nicely, with a tender, delicate crumb and a delicious zing from the buttermilk. I'll definitely keep this recipe handy for those future cravings. I wonder how this would do with a tablespoon or two of dill? Thanks, Janem.
Another excellent bread recipe by janem. Loved the taste of that loaf, whether fresh or toasted. Thanks for posting.