1/1 Photo of Rao's Famous Meatballs
1 hr 30 mins
I saw this on the Today Show. I made them one night and now my family asks for them at least once a week. They may seem labor intensive but they are most certainly worth the effort. You can serve them with spaghetti or on their own. Hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground veal
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 4 large garlic cloves (3 minced and 1 reserved for frying)
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups pecorino romano cheese, grated
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups cooking oil or 2 cups olive oil, for frying
- tomato sauce, of your choosing. (But really good in a tomato-basil sauce.)
- 1In a large bowl, place the meat and rub the minced garlic into it.
- 2Press the meat in the bowl.
- 3Add in this order: Salt, pepper, parsley, 2 eggs and water. Then sprinkle the cheese over the top as if you are going to cover the water. Finally, sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the cheese.
- 4Mix from the outside of the bowl to the middle, folding it inches Do not overmix!
- 5After the ingredients are mixed, start to roll the meatballs in your hands, about 6 ounces per meatball.
- 6After your meatballs are rolled, take a 10 inch frying pan and add your oil and the reserved whole clove of garlic and heat. When the clove starts to brown, the oil is ready.
- 7Fry the meatballs, cooking and flipping until golden brown, about 4 1/2 to 5 minutes per side.
- 8Remove the meatballs after frying and put on a paper towel lined plate to absorb excess oil.
- 9(If you want you can bake the meatballs on a lightly greased tray at 350 degrees-the taste is totally different than frying).
- 10Add the meatballs to your tomato sauce to finish cooking.
- 11Let simmer for at least 45-60 minutes.
- 12Serve with the sauce.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rao's Famous Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (2156 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 488.4
- Calories from Fat 396
- Total Fat 44.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 88.2 mg
- Sodium 121.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 16.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pecorino romano cheese