Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 min
Alright...perhaps I'm NUTS using top quality steak in these, but it DOES work out for the best..."TRUST ME"! Pasties originated in the copper mining communities of Michigan's Upper Peninsula & are still very popular, today.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs rib eye or 2 1⁄2 lbs ny strip steaks
- 1 medium rutabaga
- 1 medium Spanish onion (NOT sweet onions, like Vidalia)
- 2 medium potatoes (red, preferred)
- 3 -4 carrots
- 1⁄2 small head green cabbage (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup butter (NOT margarine)
- 2 packages frozen pie dough, thawed
- Wash & pare the vegetables -- thinly slice or coarsely chop, into a large bowl. Sprinkle with 1-1/2 teaspoons MORTON’S Nature’s Seasoning -- mix well, cover & refrigerate, overnight.
- With a sharp knife, thinly cut & cube meat & place in a separate bowl -- generously sprinkle with MAGGI Seasoning -- mix well, cover & refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, drain meat & vegetables & then mix them together, well.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll out 1 piece of pie dough (I prefer PAPPY's) onto a floured surface, to about a 10-12 inch circle. Place about 2/3 cup meat/vegetable mixture on half of the crust -- top with 1 T. Butter. Carefully fold over the other half & seal -- place on an ungreased baking pan w/sides -- repeat until all meat/vegetable mixture is gone. Bake for 1-1/2 hours.