Recipe by Ackman
Alright...perhaps I'm NUTS using top quality steak in these, but it DOES work out for the best..."TRUST ME"! Pasties originated in the copper mining communities of Michigan's Upper Peninsula & are still very popular, today.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs rib eye or 2 1⁄2 lbs ny strip steaks
- 1 medium rutabaga
- 1 medium Spanish onion (NOT sweet onions, like Vidalia)
- 2 medium potatoes (red, preferred)
- 3 -4 carrots
- 1⁄2 small head green cabbage (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup butter (NOT margarine)
- 2 packages frozen pie dough, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash & pare the vegetables -- thinly slice or coarsely chop, into a large bowl. Sprinkle with 1-1/2 teaspoons MORTON’S Nature’s Seasoning -- mix well, cover & refrigerate, overnight.
- With a sharp knife, thinly cut & cube meat & place in a separate bowl -- generously sprinkle with MAGGI Seasoning -- mix well, cover & refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, drain meat & vegetables & then mix them together, well.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll out 1 piece of pie dough (I prefer PAPPY's) onto a floured surface, to about a 10-12 inch circle. Place about 2/3 cup meat/vegetable mixture on half of the crust -- top with 1 T. Butter. Carefully fold over the other half & seal -- place on an ungreased baking pan w/sides -- repeat until all meat/vegetable mixture is gone. Bake for 1-1/2 hours.