I LOVE BEEF STEW....I can eat it year 'round!!! I prefer to make in the oven instead of on top of the stove.
- 2 lbs stewing beef (use a well marbled chuck roast & cut into 1-1/2 in. pieces)
- seasoned flour (for dredging)
- 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 dash ground allspice or 1 dash ground cloves
- 3 large carrots, pared & sliced
- 1 small rutabaga, pared & cubed (optional)
- 3 potatoes, pared & quartered
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Dredge meat in seasoned flour & brown in hot oil.
- Add water, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, bay leaves, onion, salt, sugar, pepper, paprika, and allspice.
- Cover and bake 1 1/2 hours .
- Remove bay leaves and garlic clove.
- Add carrots and celery. & (optional rutabaga &/or stewed tomatoes).
- Cover and cook 45 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- To thicken gravy, combine 1/4 cup cold water and the cornstarch until smooth.
- Slowly mix into the stew until desired thicknes.
- Stir and cook over medium high heat until thick & bubbly.