Prep 2 mins
Cook 15 mins
A slightly different twist on an old classic. If you like a tarter taste use really green tomatoes. For a bit sweeter and less tart taste use ones that have pinked slightly.
- 4 -6 medium green tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 (1 ounce) package ranch dressing mix
- 1⁄2 cup oil (more if needed)
- Slice tomatoes; thin for crisper slices or thick for softer slices.
- Mix ranch dressing and flour. I like the peppercorn dressing mix for this if you can find it.
- Dredge tomato slices in flour mixture.
- Fry in hot oil, until golden, turn over and repeat.
I made this for lunch today, but was disapointed as to how they turned out. While in the middle of preping and frying the tomatoes, I did dredged the tomatoes in an egg/buttermilk mixture first, before coating the tomatoes in the flour/ranch mixture, to improve the texture, plus I also sprinkled some black pepper on both sides of the tomatoes. I thought the ranch dressing mix would give these fried tomatoes a good flavor, but in the end it did not, so to make these a bit more flavorable, I topped the fried tomatoes with a bit of bottled ranch dressing, which made these taste a lot better. One more thing, I would not recommend using tomatoes that are slight pink, as they just end up getting mushy. Nyteglori, I'm sorry I wasn't able to give this recipe a better review.