Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
Here are some good ones.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup coconut, shredded
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3⁄4 cup peanuts or 3⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Sift together flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder and set aside; Cream together shortening, brown sugar and white sugar until light and fluffy; Beat in eggs, vanilla and coconut. Add sifted ingredients and mix well; Stir in oatmeal, chocolate chips and nuts, Mix thoroughly.
- Drop by teaspoonful onto ungreased baking sheets; Bake for 8--12 minutes until golden brown.
I grew up on these cookies...my mother made them all the time and when I started having children of my own, she passed the recipe down to me. I wanted to make some the other day and was heartbroken when I couldn't find my recipe! Thank goodness I found it here. There are, without a doubt, the best cookies! If you like chewy cookies, you will love these!
I, too, grew up on these cookies, and when I started my family my mother passed the recipe down to me also!! I love them...my very favorite cookie and my kids (who are now adults) still love them!!
These were great. My husband and all my kids (6) loved them. One was hesitant, but ended up eating about 4 of them. She is typically picky. She said that there wasn't enough chocolate.