Recipe by Doing it Right
This is a tried and true recipe that I make over and over again This recipe is from Joanna Lund. I love her recipes. This is a meal that even a man would love. This can be frozen and it is only 193 calories per serving. Diabetic exchanges are: 1 1/2 Protein, 1 1/2 Vegetable and 1 Starch. Only 544 mg of Sodium.
Top Review by BLUE ROSE
A different version on Shepherd's Pie for us. I did not expect for everyone to like this but they did. They have even already asked if I will make this again. I changed nothing in this and I'm glad I did . An excellant week meal also. They, my family ranked this 10 stars!
- 8 ounces lean ground turkey or 8 ounces beef
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1 cup tomato sauce (one 8 ounce can)
- 1 tablespoon brown Sugar Twin
- 1 cup French style green bean, rinsed and drained (one 16-ounce can)
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded (3 ounces)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups instant potato flakes (4 1/2 ounces)
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 3⁄4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon chili seasoning mix
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet sprayed with cooking spray, brown meat.
- Stir in salsa, tomato sauce and brown sugar twin.
- Add green beans and half of the cheddar cheese.
- Mix well to combine.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in potato flakes and dry milk powder.
- Add yogurt, parsley flakes, chili seasoning, black pepper and remaining cheddar cheese.
- Mix gently with a fork.
- Spread potato mixture evenly over meat mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Place baking dish on a wire rack and let set for 5 minutes.
- Divide into 6 servings.