Recipe by alligirl
Serve this salsa alongside chips, or on your favorite Mexican dish! Posted for ZWT 5.
Top Review by NELady
Yum - this was a very good, very spicy salsa. I liked the roasted tomatoes and the way that you cooked it (instead of raw ingredients chopped together) and then let it cool - it had a richer, deeper flavor! Made for Fiesta! Challege, ZWT5 for the Groovy GastroGnomes.
- 3 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 2 jalapeno peppers, halved and seeded
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat broiler. (500º).
- Place tomato quarters and pepper halves, cut side down, on broiler pan.
- Broil 4 inches from the heat for 5-7 minutes, 'til skins start to blacken.
- Remove from broiler pan; cool.
- Remove skins from tomatoes and peppers; finely chop.
- Cook onion and garlic in hot oil, in a small saucepan for 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, peppers and cumin. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 - 15 minutes or 'til most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Cool completely.