Recipe by Irmgard
A wonderful main course soup with a southwest flavour. Serve with warm corn bread or fresh rolls.
Top Review by Maïté G.
I have just made this recipe for tomorrow evening, as I will have a long day at work and won't have much time to cook. I couldn't resist tasting it and it's absolutely WONDERFUL. I hope the kids and my DH will like it too (which I'm almost sure of), because I really would like to make this again and again!
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 (19 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans or 1 (19 ounce) can black beans, undrained
- 1⁄2 green bell peppers or 1⁄2 yellow bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, stir together the stock, tomatoes, 1 onion, garlic, chili powder and cumin; bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until the flavours have blended.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat together the egg, remaining onion, oregano and salt; mix in the beef, breaking up large pieces with a spoon.
- Stir the rice into the meat mixture.
- With moistened hands, shape into 1-inch balls.
- Add the meatballs and beans to the saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the pepper and zucchini; cover and simmer for 15 minutes more or until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.