1 hr 15 mins
A wonderful main course soup with a southwest flavour. Serve with warm corn bread or fresh rolls.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 (19 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans or 1 (19 ounce) can black beans, undrained
- 1/2 green bell peppers or 1/2 yellow bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1In a large saucepan, stir together the stock, tomatoes, 1 onion, garlic, chili powder and cumin; bring to a boil.
- 2Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until the flavours have blended.
- 3Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat together the egg, remaining onion, oregano and salt; mix in the beef, breaking up large pieces with a spoon.
- 4Stir the rice into the meat mixture.
- 5With moistened hands, shape into 1-inch balls.
- 6Add the meatballs and beans to the saucepan; bring to a boil.
- 7Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 8Add the pepper and zucchini; cover and simmer for 15 minutes more or until the meatballs are cooked through.
- 9Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ranchero Meatball Soup
Serving Size: 1 (774 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 575.5
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 129.9 mg
- Sodium 1500.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.0 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 40.5 g