Recipe by Maine-iac
This is a home-made and not a "can" version. Make it on a cold day, when you can spend some time in the kitchen. Guaranteed to please!
- 1 lb dry pinto beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 2 finely diced carrots
- 2 stalks finely diced celery
- 1 diced green pepper
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- liquid smoke (to taste)
- Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- salt & pepper
- 3 -4 smoked ham hocks
- 3 -4 cans chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Place pinto beans in large pot, cover with water, bring to rapid boil, cover and set aside.
- In another large pot, add olive oil and sautee onion, garlic, carrots, celery, and pepper.
- Add spices and simmer an additional 2 minutes.
- Drain and rinse pinto beans and add to vegetable mixture, along with ham hocks.
- Add chicken broth to cover contents.
- Cover and simmer, adding more chicken broth if needed, until beans are tender and liquid is absorbed, about 2 hours.
- Re-season with spices, as needed.
- Cut and flake meat from hocks into bean mixture.
- Serve as a side dish, or in tortilla shells with salsa and sour cream or with your favorite red or green sauce.