Prep 35 mins
Cook 35 mins
One of my mom's oldie but goodie recipes
- 2 cups dry lentils
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 cups water, divided
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Wash and drain the lentils.
- In a saucepan add lentils, salt and 4 cups water; bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the lentils are tender.
- In a skillet, cook beef and garlic until meat is browned; drain.
- Stir in soup mix, ketchup, mustard, vinegar, pepper and remaining water.
- Gently stir in lentils.
- Pour into a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Bake, covered at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
We love this! I added a can fire roasted tomatoes and reduced ketchup by about half; left out salt when cooking lentils. Then instead of oven I just put the lid on skillet and cooked low for about 30 minutes. This made it more like chili than a casserole. Delish!
My boyfriend loves this meal. I make it whenever I want to get on his good side
Not only did my husband like it, but also my two year old.