Recipe by Derf
Mom used to make these as a special treat at Christmas time, they are wonderful!! either as an appetizer, each sausage roll cut into bite size pieces or whole for a picnic, with potato salad and stuffed eggs. (pastry chill time 60 minutes). Makes one or 2 inch rolls
Rough Puff Pastry
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter, very cold and hard (or 1/2 cup butter and 1/4 cup lard)
- 3 -4 tablespoons cold water, to mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
Sausage meat filling
- 1 lb sausage meat (or a mixture of the two) or 1 lb beef (or a mixture of the two) or 1 lb pork (or a mixture of the two)
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift the flour and salt together.
- Cut in the fat, leaving it in small pieces.
- Make a well in the centre.
- Add the lemon juice and just enough of the water to make a stiff dough.
- Refrigerate about 1 hour before using.
- Combine the meat filling ingredients.
- To assemble the sausage rolls, cut the pastry in half.
- Roll half the pastry into 9 x 13 inch rectangle.
- Form one half of the sausage meat into 3 rolls the length of the pastry and place on the pastry, at an equal distance apart.
- Cut the pastry into strips wide enough to encircle the meat.
- Dampen one edge of each strip, fold over and press together firmly.
- Cut into rolls of desired length; make a slash on top of each roll.
- Repeat with the other half of the pastry and sausage.
- Brush the top with a small amount of beaten egg yolk.
- Place on baking sheet with a raised edge.
- Bake in a hot oven, 425°F for approximately 20 to 30 minutes.