Mom used to make these as a special treat at Christmas time, they are wonderful!! either as an appetizer, each sausage roll cut into bite size pieces or whole for a picnic, with potato salad and stuffed eggs. (pastry chill time 60 minutes). Makes one or 2 inch rolls
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Rough Puff Pastry
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, very cold and hard (or 1/2 cup butter and 1/4 cup lard)
- 3 -4 tablespoons cold water, to mix
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
Sausage meat filling
- 1Sift the flour and salt together.
- 2Cut in the fat, leaving it in small pieces.
- 3Make a well in the centre.
- 4Add the lemon juice and just enough of the water to make a stiff dough.
- 5Refrigerate about 1 hour before using.
- 6Combine the meat filling ingredients.
- 7To assemble the sausage rolls, cut the pastry in half.
- 8Roll half the pastry into 9 x 13 inch rectangle.
- 9Form one half of the sausage meat into 3 rolls the length of the pastry and place on the pastry, at an equal distance apart.
- 10Cut the pastry into strips wide enough to encircle the meat.
- 11Dampen one edge of each strip, fold over and press together firmly.
- 12Cut into rolls of desired length; make a slash on top of each roll.
- 13Repeat with the other half of the pastry and sausage.
- 14Brush the top with a small amount of beaten egg yolk.
- 15Place on baking sheet with a raised edge.
- 16Bake in a hot oven, 425°F for approximately 20 to 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ranch Sausage Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (997 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 273.4
- Calories from Fat 190
- Total Fat 21.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 56.6 mg
- Sodium 408.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 9.1 g