Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I typically don't like potato salad but I came up with this for a potluck. I wanted to create a 'ranch' flavored potatoe salad without using a processed package of ranch dressing. Feel free to limit the amount of fat in the mayonaise--I've used the reduced fat variety and it turned out great. I prefer to use red potatoes. Number of servings is only an estimate.
- 4 1⁄2 lbs potatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tarragon
- 1 teaspoon capers
- pepper, to taste
- 5 slices bacon, cooked, drippings reserved
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, diced
- Boil potatoes in the skin until tender not mushy.
- Drain the water from the potatoes and let cool enough to easily handle.
- Remove skins from all potatoes, or if desired leave skins on 1/4 of the potatoes to add flavor, texture, and color to finished salad.
- While potatoes are cooling, blend all remaining ingredients EXCEPT bacon and onions in a blender. Process until smooth.
- Slice potatoes approximately 3/8 inch thick by 1 inch wide and tall (bite size pieces).
- Put potatoes in a large bowl, drizzle reserved bacon drippings and toss lightly to coat.
- Stir in buttermilk mixture, onions, and bacon.
- Chill until cold. Serve.