Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
OMG, OMG, OMG! One of my all-time oyster favorites ... in a dip! I plan to serve this with toasted baguette slices... or maybe toasted pita pieces... or maybe just a spoon! Will make for DF next visit while the oysters are still winter fat. Got this in my email - from gourmet_recipes_from_around_the_world. Attributed to "CHILI PEPPER MAGAZINE". Thank you ringwraith, you are my hero!
- 2 lbs frozen spinach (chopped)
- 12 ounces bacon, smoked, finely diced
- 1 cup white onion, finely diced
- 2 ounces butter
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- 1 pint oyster, shucked in their liquid
- 1 ounce anisette
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Drain all of the liquid from the spinach.
- Over medium flame, slowly brown bacon to render all of the fat, keeping fat in pan.
- Add the onions, butter, salt and pepper, and chipotle powder. Saute slowly until onions are lightly caramelized.
- Add oysters with juice and simmer until juice is fully reduced. Stir often to break oysters into small pieces.
- Add spinach and stir for about 1 minute to fully incorporate the seasoning.
- Add anisette, heavy cream, cream cheese, and Parmesan cheese. Simmer several minutes until thickened. Remove from heat, cool, and refrigerate for later use.
- To serve, heat to a simmer and serve warm in a chafing dish in a dip bowl.