Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 mins
An easy to make macaroni salad that your kids will eat! The key is to mince the veggies so they don't even know they are there. Of course, if your kids like their vegetables, double the dressing and go ahead and throw in some blanched broccoli.
- 2 cups uncooked small shell pasta, about 4 oz
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sliced pepperoni, cut into quarters (about 4 oz)
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, small dice
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk or 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon green onion, minced fine
- 1 teaspoon celery, minced fine
- 1 teaspoon red radish, minced fine
- 1 teaspoon onion, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, grated
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions, about 5 to 7 minutes, until barely al dente.
- Drain well and put into a medium bowl.
- Pour vinegar over pasta and stir to combine.
- Let sit 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes until vinegar is absorbed and pasta has cooled.
- Add pepperoni and cheddar cheese and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, yogurt, buttermilk, green onion, celery, radish, and onion, and garlic.
- Stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour over pasta mixture and gently stir to combine.
Made this for the kids today and they thought it was 'OK'. Trying it, I could see that it needed (atleast for my kids) more of a flavour punch from the small amounts of aromatics - except for the garlic. The directions were simply laid out and a breeze to follow - the kids were reading it to me and we all helped to make it. A bit more flavour from your aromatics, and crunch from the radish and you'll have a great recipe, chef!