Recipe by crys58
Ready, Set, Cook! Hidden Valley Contest Entry. A twist on the classic macaroni & cheese cassarole has chicken, dry italian salami and two cheeses. Tastes great!
- 1 ounce Hidden Valley Original Ranch Seasoning Mix
- 2 large skinless chicken breasts
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 10 slices light italian dry salami
- 4 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Turn oven on to 350 degrees and grease entire 5 quart deep casserole dish with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Use 1 tablespoon seasoning salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, and 1 tablespoon garlic powder to season chicken breast. Place in baking dish and into oven for approximately 30 – 45 minutes until tender and juicy. Remove from oven and cut into medium size cubes or chunks. Keep drippings from baking dish then pour ½ cup water into dish add chicken and stir together.
- SAUCE: In medium size sauce pan on medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter and stir in 2 tablespoons flour then add 1 cup milk; stir till flour has dissolved. Stir in remaining 3 cups milk, salt and pepper along with 2 teaspoons Hidden Valley Ranch Original Seasoning Mix. While stirring bring to a boil then set aside.
- In a measuring cup beat 2 eggs with wire whisk then slowly pour a small amount of above milk into eggs while still whisking. When mixture is smooth (should not curdle) pour into sauce pan with remaining milk.
- Place 10 pieces of Italian dry salami on foil and place in oven on broil for 5 minutes. Remove from oven then place paper towel over salami and press down while soaking up excess oils. Stack salami and cut into strips.
- Boil macaroni noodles in for approximately 8 minutes then drain.
- In 5 quart casserole dish layer enough noodles to cover bottom add a pinch of salt and pepper, continue with 1/3 of cubed chicken, ½ cup parmesan and cheddar cheeses then pour 1/3 of sauce mixture over all. Repeat. Place dry Italian salami on top.
- TOPPING: Blend together 1 cup bread crumbs and remaining Hidden Valley Original Seasoning Mix.
- Sprinkle evenly on top of salami then add remaining parmesan & sharp cheddar cheeses. Pour ½ cup milk evenly over top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Servings: 8-10.