Recipe by BecR
These warm fried egg and melted cheese quesadillas make a hearty & satisfying breakfast, lunch, or supper. Very popular in my household. I hope you enjoy, too! Serve with assorted sides of sour cream, fresh tomato slices, lime wedges, my Fresh Pico de Gallo (Salsa Fresca) Fresh Pico De Gallo (Salsa Fresca), Guacamole Holy Moly Great Guacamole!, and/or hot sauce. Add a cup of soup or pinto beans on the side for extra hungry hard workin' cowboys or cowgirls. Recipe may be doubled, tripled or quadrupled, etc. Muy delicioso!
- 4 corn tortillas
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, to taste (or corn oil)
- 4 tablespoons butter, to taste
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 sprig fresh cilantro or 1 sprig lemon thyme, for garnish
For serving (choose your favorite)
- sour cream
- 1 -2 fresh tomato, sliced
- salsa fresca
- fresh lime wedge
- hot sauce
- soup or beans
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a little olive oil (more or less oil, to taste) in a frying pan over medium-high heat, then soften the corn tortillas on both sides in the hot oil.
- Remove tortilla from pan onto a paper-towel lined plate.
- Fry an egg in the pan with some added butter (eggs "over-easy" where the whites are set but the yolks are a little runny, are especially tasty in these quesadillas), then put the tortilla back into the pan with the fried egg inside it and generously sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese; heat through briefly on low heat until the cheese melts. Slide out onto a plate and fold the warm tortilla over the fried eggs and cheese (omelet-style); keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas, eggs and cheese.
- To Serve:.
- Serve quesadillas warm garnished with a sprig of fresh cilantro or lemon thyme, accompanied with your choice of sour cream, fresh tomato, salsa fresca, lime wedges, hot sauce or guacamole. Add a cup of soup or pinto beans on the side, to satisfy very hearty appetites!
- Alternatively, you may layer the fried eggs and cheese between two hot buttery tortillas, fry briefly on one side then carefully flip and fry on the other side until the cheese is melted; slide out onto a warmed serving plate, cut into wedges and serve.
- May be eaten with your fingers, or use a knife and fork; be sure to have plenty of paper napkins handy. Enjoy!