Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is from TOH. Its great because you can mix the dry ingredients and keep in a cool dry place in ziploc bags. All you have to do later is to add the ingredients for the other dressings and enjoy. I suggest refrigerating at least 24 hours before serving to allow the flavors to blend. The base mix yields 3 cups of mix. This divides into 4 portions to use at any point. Each portion makes 6 batches of salad dressing.
- 1 cup dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 cup finely crushed saltine
- 1⁄2 cup dried onion flakes
- 1⁄2 cup garlic salt
- 1⁄2 cup onion salt
- 1⁄4 cup garlic powder
- 1⁄4 cup onion powder
- 2 tablespoons dill weed
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and pureed
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- BASE MIX: In a large bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients. Divide into 4 portions; store in containers or bags in a cool dry place.
- RANCH DRESSING: In a bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons mix with mayo and buttermilk. Refrigerate until serving. Serve as is, or use to make one of the following great dressings.
- THOUSAND ISLAND DRESSING: Add chili sauce and pickle relish to 1 cup prepared Ranch dressing.
- CUCUMBER RANCH DRESSING: Add cucumber and celery seed to 1 cup prepared Ranch Dressing.
Never gone wrong with a TOH recipe and I enjoy salads at a minimum of 3 days a week. Always then trying new salad dressing recipes. Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix is one of my favorites. I usually by the big container at Sams so I pretty much know what it should taste like. When I forgot it last shopping I thought it would be a great time to try this. What a disappointment. Taste nothing like Ranch, more of a dill type base salad dressing with a chalky cracker after taste. Not only that but the consistency is not right, very very thin. The only change I made was to half the recipe and I had all the ingredients on hand. Possibly I went wrong somewhere but I don't think so. My suggestion to you is if you are going to try it, cut it WAY down. Either that or email me, I will send you part of mine! I will be trying to figure out what to do with the rest of the dry mix due to this costly mistake.
Absolutely wonderful flavor! But way too salty. Will def make again without garlic and/or onion salt. I think the Saltines will give enough salt.