Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This dish is staple food in our house. The chicken is soooo tender and tastes so good! Marinating overnight does the trick. You don't HAVE to do it overnight. On occasion, I have forgotten to prep it the night before and done it in the morning. It is still very good, but it is much better if you marinate overnight. The onions (IMHO) compliment perfectly.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 bottle prepared ranch dressing
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 red onions
- lemon pepper (or favorite spice/seasoning)
- 4 slices bacon (see below) (optional)
- The NIGHT BEFORE you plan to serve this: Thoroughly rinse chicken and cut off any fat.
- Pound chicken just for the purpose of letting off some steam- we're not making scallopini here; just loosening up the chicken.
- Get a big plastic baggie and put chicken and about 3/4 of the bottle of ranch dressing in; seal and smoosh around to coat the chicken in the bag.
- Put flat in fridge and forget about it until tomorrow night!
- You can turn it over in the morning if it makes you feel better.
- The NEXT NIGHT (to prepare): Heat oil in non stick skillet over medium high heat.
- In another saucepan (with a lid), melt butter over medium heat.
- Slice onions into wedges or rings (about 1/2 to 1 inch thick) and add to melted butter.
- Sprinkle your favorite seasoning (lemon pepper, etc) over onions; stir and cover.
- My favorite spice to use comes from a restaurant called the Melting Pot (fondue place)- they sell their Garlic& Wine Seasoning.
- If you live near a Melting Pot, I highly recommend you eat there and pick up a bottle of their spice!
- I use it for just about everything!
- Flip the chicken over and brown on both sides until done.
- Chicken will take 10-15 minutes to cook and so will the onions.
- You just want to get the onions semi-soft, not sauteed.
- Of course, if you'd like them softer, go for it.
- To Serve: You could either plate the chicken and onions and drizzle the remaining dressing in the bottle over the top, or serve the remaining dressing in a ramekin on the side for dipping.
- VARIATION: Slightly precook a few slices of bacon before you add the oil and chicken to the skillet.
- Wrap the bacon around the chicken and secure with toothpicks, and then cook the chicken!