Recipe by jrthrmn
Once you make this simple dressing you will never buy another bottle of the stuff. This is far superior even to the name brand. From hillbillyhousewife.com. I always use buttermilk but yogurt is ok too.
Top Review by WickedOpal
I really liked this, but I tried using a cup of buttermilk and it's really thin if you do that. I suggest doing half buttermilk and half sour cream. I added some sour cream after the cup of buttermilk and it's still thin, but definitely better. I plan to try it with the yogurt next time, since it had so many great reviews.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup buttermilk (dry buttermilk is fine) or 1 cup yogurt (dry buttermilk is fine)
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash dill weed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Get out a medium sized bowl.
- Measure the mayonnaise into it.
- Gradually whisk in the buttermilk or yogurt.
- If you use powdered buttermilk, whisk in the powder first, and then slowly add a cup of water.
- Then add the seasonings. Whisk again.
- Or you can make it in the blender by putting everything into the blender and whirling until smooth.
- The mixture will be a little thin, but it will thicken on standing. Store in a pint size jar, makes 2-cups.
- Keep in the refrigerator for a few weeks. Tastes really good with yogurt by the way. This is my favorite way of making it. It tastes good with powdered buttermilk too, but the consistency is thinner than with yogurt.
- Note: If desired, you may add a tablespoon of Parmesan Cheese and/or a tablespoon of lemon juice to the dressing in addition to the seasonings above.