Merging several other recipes won me this rich dressing to serve with salad, veggie tray, or fried okra. Triple the herb mix and store the excess with your other spices. Use it for croutons, soups, and steamed veggies. Change-ups: Add 1 smashed chipotle pepper and the adobo sauce that clings to it to 1 cup of dressing. Great with Fish Tacos. OR Add 1 smashed avocado doused with lime juice to 1 cup of dressing. Great with anything.
mixed herb (Makes 1/3 cup)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons msg
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 8 teaspoons dried parsley flakes, crushed between your palms
Dressing (use 2 tablespoons of mixed herbs)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (Hellmann's style)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (I use Light. Do not use no-fat.)
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk (Low-fat is okay. Do not use no-fat.)
- Herb Mix:.
- Crush parsley flakes between your palms until they are the consistency of powder.
- Add all other herb mix ingredients and blend well.
- Store herb mix in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid for up to 3 months. [Mine never lasts that long.].
- Combine all ingredients and whip with a wire whisk.
- Refrigerate for several hours before serving so that flavors can meld.
- Allow dressing to sit out while you set-up the table. The full flavor develops better when the dressing is not refrigerator-cold.
- HOWEVER, remember that you are dealing with dairy products. Refrigerate dressing as soon as the salad course is over.
- Discard unused dressing according to expiration dates on your dairy products.