Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
True comfort food - this is yummy! Watch potato amounts - I use 1 1/2 LARGE bags of shredded hash browns but I am not sure how many oz the bags are, but the biggest ore-ida bag I can find - like double the average size bag. I estimated that it was a 20 oz bag.
- 4 1⁄2 lbs chicken parts, rinsed (12 pieces)
- 30 ounces frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup ranch salad dressing
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons instant minced onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 2 cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 (12 ounce) can fried onions
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- Put oil in heavy fry pan and heat on medium until hot.
- Combine eggs and milk, mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine flour and salt and pepper to taste in large zip lock bag. A few pieces at a time, place chicken in egg mix, then in bag of flour and shake. Remove from bag, shake off excess and place in pan of hot oil. Repeat and cook chicken parts until partially cooked and browned on exterior. Interior will cook in oven.
- While chicken is browning, combine soup, salad dressing, sour cream, onion half the cheese and seasoning salt in a large bowl. Add thawed hash browns and toss to coat with sauce.
- Place hash browns in large baking dish, greased. Top potato mixture with browned chicken parts.
- Sprinkle the top of casserole with the rest of the cheese and top the cheese with the fried onions.
- Bake at 350 for one hour, 15 min to 1.5 hours. Cover top with foil if it gets too brown.