Recipe by Normaone
I love pinto beans and this is one of the best recipes I have found. If you like beans spicier, add more jalapeño to taste.
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 lb dry pinto beans
- 5 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 head garlic, peeled, minced
- 12 ounces dark beer
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, cook bacon until brown and crisp.
- Remove bacon to paper towels to drain and discard drippings.
- Return to pot.
- Put beans in the same pot along with the onions, garlic and water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Boil for 15 minutes.
- Add cumin, coriander, sugar, chili powder, jalapeno and beer.
- Simmer 1 hour, partially covered.
- Add tomatoes, partially cover and continue simmering for 45 more minutes.
- Uncover and continue simmering until beans are tender and mixture is thick, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste.