I got the original recipe from The Vegetarian Passport Cookbook. My vegetarian daughter and I both enjoy this recipe and make it regularly.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery & leaves, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn (frozen okay)
- 1 1⁄2 cups green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked brown rice (or white rice)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- pepper, to taste
- 1 (14 ounce) can vegetarian baked beans
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft in large pot.
- Add vegetable stock.
- Add veggies and rice.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add pepper, beans, soya sauce, cumin and dried thyme (if you're using dried thyme).
- Simmer until all veggies are cooked (about 25 minutes).
- Add fresh thyme now.
- Heat, serve and enjoy.
Wow, this was really delicious and so simple to make! I think it is very important to find flavorful veg baked beans, though, as that flavor is really dominant in the dish. I didn't change a thing with this one and I'm so glad I didn't--DH, toddler DS and I gobbled it up! I think the flavor probably really develops the second day, but I won't know because we didn't have any left LOL. Thanks so much for a deliciously different veg dinner! Made for Healthy Choices tag.
VERY TASTY STEW, & easy to prepare, as well! Definitely use brown rice in this recipe as it adds much to the stew! This is certainly a stew I'll be making again & again! Thanks for sharing! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap for one of my vegan teammates]