Ramps season is in early spring. The flavor is similar to onions, particularly like scallions, but wilder. They can be used just like scallions. In Appalachia, they are so popular that festivals are dedicated to them. They've been a staple of Southern Appalachian cooking for generations. If ramps are unavailable, feel free to sub regular leeks or scallions.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut the greens off of the ramps.
- 2Dice the bulbs into ¼-inch pieces.
- 3Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Have a bowl of ice water next to the stove. Drop the greens into the boiling water and cook for 2 minutes. Lift the greens out of the water with a strainer and plunge them immediately into the ice water. Drain and squeeze dry. If they are still moist, roll them up into a kitchen towel and twist the ends tightly to squeeze out all of the excess moisture.
- 4Coarsely chop the greens and set aside.
- 5Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a small sauté pan over medium heat.
- 6Add the ramp bulbs, ¼ teaspoon of the salt and the pepper.
- 7Stir together and cook until the bulbs are tender, about 5 minutes.
- 8Remove from heat.
- 9Cool to room temperature.
- 10Place the ramp greens and bulbs in the bowl of a food processor.
- 11Pulse a few times to chop them together, then process continuously for 1 minute.
- 12Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- 13Process for 1 more minutes, or until the ramp mixture is very finely chopped.
- 14Add the pine nuts, Parmesan, remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, remaining ½ teaspoon salt and lemon juice and process until smooth.
- 15Taste for seasoning, adding more salt and/or lemon juice as needed.
- 16Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ramps Pesto
Serving Size: 1 (469 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 888.3
- Calories from Fat 860
- Total Fat 95.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Cholesterol 8.8 mg
- Sodium 2772.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 6.7 g