Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Ramps are "wild leeks," in the onion and garlic family, and rather unique. If you live in the Appalachian or Allegheny Mountains, they may be growing wild in your yard! Ramps appear in early Spring, and may be mixed into hushpuppies or corn bread. This old recipe pairs ramps with potatoes.
- 1 lb bacon
- 4 -5 large potatoes, diced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ramps, cleaned and cut up
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Fry bacon in skillet, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Put diced potatoes in bacon grease and let fry 3 to 4 minutes. Add cut up ramps and continue frying until potatoes are well done.
- Put previously fried bacon on top of potatoes and ramps. Let simmer for about 2 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.