Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Here is a delicious and easy dish to prepare for any kind of potluck or gathering where you are expected to bring a dish. You only need a few easy to obtain ingredients. Don’t expect leftovers. Anytime I take this to a gathering, all I bring home is the empty bowl!
- 1 head green cabbage, shredded
- 9 green onions, thinly sliced (include the green tops)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 3 (3 ounce) packages oriental-flavor instant ramen noodles
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3⁄8 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- salt and pepper
- Mix cabbage and green onions in a large bowl. Use a large sealed container (like Tupperware) if you plan to take the dish to another site to serve. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Place sliced almonds on an ungreased cookie sheet and toast until dark (but not burnt); this will take approximately 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Open the ramen noodle packets and set the flavor packets to the side. You will use these in the following step. Empty ramen noodles into a gallon-sized baggie and crush; add toasted almonds. Close and set aside.
- Empty the three flavor packets, oil, water, vinegar and sugar into a jar or other lidded container and shake to mix well. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste. Close jar securely.
- You end with three packages: one cabbage mix pack, one dry ingredient, and one jar of vinaigrette. Just before serving, add the oil to the cabbage mixture and toss well. Add the dry ingredients to this and toss well.
- Please note that “Oriental” flavor ramen usually has beef broth; if this is the case, the dish will not be vegetarian.
- I highly recommend toasting the almonds to a dark brown color. Just watch closely! I have had even more enthusiastic responses to the salad when the almonds are darker, which gives them a richer, more distinctive flavor that marries well with the rest of the dish.