Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
I LOOOOVE this in the summer. One of my friend's moms gave this recipe to me about three years ago after I had it at his house. It's really great--especially if you just add the ramen RIGHT before serving it!
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 head cabbage, finely chopped (I've used bagged broccoli slaw you can find in some grocery stores in place of this ingredient)
- 6 green onions, sliced thin
- 2 (3 ounce) packages ramen noodles, original flavor
- 2⁄3 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar (I've used rice wine vinegar in place of this(just adjust sugar and salt to taste)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- Toast sesame seeds and almonds on a cookie sheet in oven until lightly toasted.
- Watch carefully, they can burn quickly.
- Mix cabbage and green onions in a large bowl.
- Crush ramen noodles in the package.
- Open and remove broth packets.
- To make dressing, mix oil, water and vinegar in a jar with a tight lid.
- Add sugar and 1 packet of broth.
- Shake well.
- Taste, and add more sugar, as well as salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, add crushed noodles, almonds and sesame seeds to cabbage mixture.
- Pour on dressing and toss well.
- Serve immediately.
I made this with half of a really large head of cabbage - finely shredded, 4 cooked chicken breasts, shredded into large pieces, a handful of baby carrots shredded with the cabbagei n the food processor, and the addition of dark sesame oil (1T) to our double batch of this recipe. I also added 2 cups of fresh sweet peas, just thawed from the freezer. We used the resulting chicken ramen coleslaw to stuff whole wheat mini pita bread halves, and it was a hit with the whole family, adult and children. I found I only had 1/4 cup vinegar so I added the 1/4 cup of lemon juice to the second batch of the dressing, and it was still delicious. A good recipe to adjust to what's in your refrigetator or your garden!
I love this salad. To change it up I crushed the Ramen noodles and sautéed them in butter. It was a big hit at the party and gave it a little twist.
Love this recipe!!! I've been making it for about 10 years and I add chicken to mine. Well seasoned pan fried pieces. I pre mix everything and find that it even tastes better the next day. I'm making it tomorrow!