1/4 Photos of Rambling Rose Cupcakes - Adorable, Elegant Cupcakes!
Um Safia's Note:
Rose & pistachio - what a great flavour combination! This recipe is an adaptation of one I found on a blog somewhere. The creator of the original, Roopa is incredibly imaginative & dreams up gorgeous cake ideas. The cupcake itself is more of a chiffon style than a regular sponge & dries out quickly so don't freeze them or store longer than 48 hours.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the cupcakes
- 1 cup cake flour
- 2 tablespoons cake flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 4 egg whites
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cup pistachios
For the frosting
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rose water
- 1 -2 drop pink food coloring
For decorating the cupcakes
- 16 -24 dried rosebuds or 16 -24 paper tea roses
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pistachios
- 1Make the cupcakes:.
- 2Heat oven to 325°F Line cupcake or mini muffin pans with papers.
- 3In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl and using a handheld whisk, blend the flour, baking powder & salt. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
- 4If using a stand mixer, add the milk, sunflower oil, egg yolks, rose water and lemon zest, & beat on low speed for one minute. (If using hand mixer, whisk together the wet ingredients in a separate bowl. ).
- 5Make a well in the flour mixture, add the egg mixture, and, using a spatula, stir the mixture for 30 seconds to fully combine all the ingredients. This mixture will be thick.
- 6In a clean metal bowl, beat the egg whites on medium speed until they hold soft peaks. Add the cream of tartar and sugar and beat on high speed just until the whites hold stiff peaks.
- 7Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the beaten whites and fold well to combine. Add the whites and pistachios to the bowl with the flour mixture and fold well to combine, making sure that there are no streaks left.
- 8Fill each cup of the muffin pan ¾ full with batter. Bake the cupcakes until they spring back to the touch and a toothpick comes out clean, about 10 minutes for minis muffins and about 15 minutes for regular cupcakes.
- 9Make the frosting:.
- 10Set the bowl of a stand mixer over a pan of simmering water. Add the egg whites and sugar to the bowl. Whisk the mixture until the sugar has dissolved, the whites are starting to thicken and turn white, and the temperature is about 110°F (You don’t need to be exact – just whisk for about 2 – 2 ½ minutes and you should be fine.).
- 11Attach the bowl to the mixer. Using the whisk attachment, beat the mixture on high speed until the whites are completely cool – this will take about 8 minutes.
- 12(You can do this step and the next using a handheld mixer, but it will take a littke longer & be more tiring!)
- 13Once the whites are cool, add the butter one piece at a time, completely incorporating each piece before adding the next.
- 14When you have added almost all of the butter, the mixture will start to separate and appear curdled, but don’t worry – just keep beating and add the rest of the butter, and it will come together. I promise. Continue beating until the frosting is smooth and silky.
- 15Add the rose water and 1 drop of the food coloring. Beat well to incorporate. The frosting should be a very pale rose pink color.
- 16Assemble the cupcakes:.
- 17When the cupcakes are completely cool, frost each one using a large angled star tip – to make the frosting look like a rose. If you dont have one, spoon some frosting on to the cupcake & swirl caredully with a fork.
- 18Decorate each cupcake with a dried rosebud or paper tea rose and sprinkle a little bit of the reserved crushed pistachios around the rosebud.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rambling Rose Cupcakes - Adorable, Elegant Cupcakes!
Serving Size: 1 (1202 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 298.4
- Calories from Fat 170
- Total Fat 18.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 61.9 mg
- Sodium 201.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 19.9 g
- Protein 4.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pink food coloring