Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This version of cheese soup came from our local grocery chain in their monthly magazine. It has a little more sophisticated taste to it making it perfect for company. We love this soup in front of the TV on chilly days with some great crusty bread!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large leek (thinly sliced-white and pale green parts only)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup mendocino brewing company red tail lager beer (Or use another lager- but the flavor is unique!)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄3 cups cheddar cheese (shredded- sharp is best)
- salt and pepper
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add leeks and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, to soften.
- Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Slowly stir in chicken stock, lager and mustard until mixture is smooth.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese a handful at a time, stirring until cheese is melted.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.