A nice Indian take on chili. Recipe courtesy Padma Lakshmi Show on Foodnetwork: Melting Pot, Episode: Padma's Passport--My Mother's Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 firm ripe tomatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons minced gingerroot (or 1 teaspoon ground ginger)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- kidney bean, drained (19 ounce can, or dry beans cooked till soft)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 lemon, juiced, to taste
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan set over moderate heat, warm the oil until hot, add the onions and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, tomatoes, gingerroot, cumin seeds, Garam Masala, lemon pepper, and dried red pepper flakes, if desired, and simmer the mixture, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Add the beans and salt and pepper to taste, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes more.
- Stir in the lemon juice and cilantro.
This was okay but I felt was missing something, but it may have been that I subbed chili powder for the garam masala.