Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a dish from India which combines the best of Indian cuisine and Mexican cuisine. Cooking time does not reflect time spent soaking the beans. They should be soaked overnight or at least 8 hours.
- 1 cup black beans or 1 cup pinto beans or 1 cup kidney bean
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- salt, to taste
- cilantro, minced (garnish)
- Soak the beans overnight or for at least 8 hours. Drain soaking water.
- Cook soaked beans in a pressure cooker (1/2 hour) or large dutch oven (1 1/2 hours) along with salt and 4 cups cold water until they are soft. Test by pressing, with a spoon, down on one the beans - it should mashed easily.
- Drain the beans. You may want to keep some of this drained water and use later to adjust the gravy consistency.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet. Once hot, add bay leaves & onion. Saute until onions are translucent Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes Add cayenne powder, cumin powder, oregano, salt and mix well.
- Add the beans and stir until mixed. Add the water (used for cooking the beans) to adjust the consistency as desired.
- Cook on medium heat for 20 minutes Remove bay leaves. Serve along with rice.