Recipe by windhorse23
I found this on an Indian food blog and it looked interesting. Haven't tried it, but modified the ingredients slightly to make them more American-kitchen friendly.
- 15 ounces red kidney beans
- 2 medium green peppers (chopped small)
- 1 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves (grated)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (grated)
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 red chili pepper
- 1 green cardamoms
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse and drain the beans. Heat oil and saute cumin seeds, red chilli and green cardamom briefly.
- Next, put in the ginger, garlic and saute for a couple of minutes. Add the onions and fry till they turn translucent. Add tomatoes, green peppers and let it cook for another 2-3 minutes, covered, on medium heat. Then add the kidney beans.
- Mix the powdered spices together in a bowl and add. Stir fry till it all mixes together. Add about 1/4 cup water and close the lid. Let it cook for about 5-6 minutes on medium.
- Add salt and let it cook for another 4-5 minutes till it has turned to a thick curry. Garnish with cilantro if desired.