Recipe by redz
This is a quick and easy curry made from red kidney beans. Served with either naan (flatbread) or rice. Rajma masala is sold at most food stores in the international section.
Top Review by andreaadams01
Wow - this was simple and delicious! I used 2 cups of pre-soaked kidney beans which is about the equivalent of a 1 ounce can (just a little more). I cut all of the ingredients in half except for the spices. I didn't have gingerroot so I substitued 1 tsp ginger and used tandoori masala instead of rajma masala because it was all I had on hand. It was still a delicious dish and I will use again - thank you :)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans red kidney beans, undrained
- 2 teaspoons canola oil or 2 teaspoons corn oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon gingerroot, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon rajma, masala if desired (or more) (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- sliced onion (to garnish)
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium pot, heat oil. When hot, add cumin.
- Once the cumin begins to brown, add the garlic and ginger. Let it cook for 1 min, stir constantly.
- Add onions and stir until onion turns clear and add the tomato sauce.
- Keep stirring the sauce until it's slightly thickens and begins to separate a bit from the oil.
- Add the Rajma masala, salt and chili powder and stirl for 2-3 minutes.
- Last, throw in the two cans of kidney beans, undrained. Let it cook for 5-6 mins, stirring occasionally.
- You adjust the spices accordingly, while tasting along.
- Serve with some sliced onions, a lemon wedge and garnish with some chopped coriander. Enjoy!