Prep 13 hrs
Cook 1 hr
This is a delicious sounding recipe I have not tried yet. It looks so good, and I definitely will soon. Please rate this recipe!
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into serving pieces)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled, cut in half lengthwise, then cut crosswise into fine half rings
- 8 large garlic cloves, peeled ans sliced crosswise
- 3 tablespoons blanched slivered almonds
- 2 inches cubes fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄3 cup plain yogurt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Spread the chicken out in a large plate in a single layer.
- Prick them thoroughly with a tip of a sharp knife and then sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon lemon juice over them.
- Turn the pieces over and prick them again with the knife and sprinkle the rest another 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Rub the salt and lemon juice into the flesh.
- Put the chicken pieces in a bowl and set aside for 1 hour or more. Turn the chicken over a few times during the period.
- Meanwhile, prepare the second marinade: heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium-high flame. When hot, put in the onion and garlic.
- Stir and fry until the onion turns reddish-brown. Turn heat to low as you remove the onion and garlic with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl.
- Put the almonds in the same hot oil. Stir and fry a few seconds until they turn golden-brown. Turn off the heat and save the oil in the pan.
- Put the fried onion, garlic and almonds as well as the ginger and 5 tablespoons of water, into the container of a food processor or blender. Blend until you have a smooth paste.
- Empty into a bowl. Add the garam masala, coriander, yogurt, cayenne pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Mix. Pour this marinade over the chicken and mix well.
- Prick the chicken pieces again with the point of a sharp knife, again pushing much of the marinade into the flesh as possible.
- Cover the chicken and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Spread the chicken pieces out in a shallow baking tray in a single layer. Extra marinade can top the pieces.
- Dribble half the oil left over from frying the onion, garlic, and almonds over the chicken pieces and put the baking tray in the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Turn the chicken pieces over. Dribble the remaining oil over the chicken and return it to the oven.
- Bake for another 20-25 minutes basting it once or twice with the juices.
- Serve with salad or rice.