Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Roasted chiles and onions in cream sauce
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 white onions, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 yellow onion, sliced on the diagonal
- 14 large anaheim chilies or 14 large poblano peppers
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 16 ounces Mexican crema (not agria)
- 1.Char chiles (on grill, in oven on broil, or in a skillet) then place in a plastic bag. Let sit for at least 10 minutes while slicing the onions. Peel the skin off of the chiles, discard the stems and seeds, and slice into long, thin strips.
- Sautee onions, covered, in butter and oil until translucent but not browned. Add chiles and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Turn heat to low, add cream and sour cream - add a little half n half or milk if too thick - and heat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Best served over Mushroom Rice or white rice made with broth.