Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Raita is an Indian condiment based on yogurt. It is not spicy at all, just very fresh and flavorful. From "Hands-Off Cooking" by Ann Martin Rolke.
- Put the yogurt in a medium nonreactive bowl.
- Halve the cucumber lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
- On the large holes of a box grater, grate the cucumber into the bowl of yogurt.
- Add the dill, salt, and cumin and stir well to combine.
- Refrigerate the sauce for at least 15 minutes for the flavors to combine.
- Serve cold.
- You can also add some halved cherry tomatoes for a colorful, quick salad.
Yummy, yummy, yummy! I liked that this raita could be enjoyed with Indian dishes, but also was great as a sandwich spread. So easy to make and I usually have all the ingredients. Thanks for sharing! Made for ZWT8.
The perfect raita- simple to prepare and very tasty alongside spicy Indian dishes. Reviewed for ZWT8 tour of India. Photos also to be posted
This is soooo light and good, with just the right tang to elevate those hot summer meals. I served this with Naan (Indian Flatbread) and both DH and I loved it - I made as directed, (except half peeled the cucumber as my peel was tough) and added the sliced cherry tomatoes. Next time I might even try adding some finely chopped onions to the mix. Made for ZWT 8 for the Winers, Diners and Chives.