Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe can be made with 2-3 diced tomatoes, or fried orkra slices, or diced fried eggplant, or steamed or fried diced potatoes, or one 15 oz. can (rinsed and drained) chickpeas, or boondi, or 1 c. corn and one small diced zucchini that you have steamed until tender.
- 473.18 ml yogurt, thinned with
- 118.29 ml water
- 29.58 ml oil
- 4.92 ml split white Urad Dal
- 4.92 ml black mustard seeds
- 4.92 ml channa dal
- 2.46 ml cumin seed
- 1 dried red chili, broken into 3-4 pieces
- 0.59 ml hing
- 8 curry leaves
- vegetables, as desired (see above description)
- chopped fresh cilantro
- In a serving bowl put the yogurt and water and stir until smooth.
- In a small saucepan put the oil, urad dal, mustard seeds, chana dal, cumin seeds and dried red chili pieces.
- Heat over high heat until the mustard seeds have started popping and the dals are light brown.
- Remove from heat and quickly stir in the hing and curry leaves.
- Add the spices to the yogurt and stir until well mixed.
- Stir in your desired vegetables, salt and cilantro.
- Let flavors marry in the fridge until serving time.
- This will also allow time for the dals to soften up a bit.
- If you are making this with boondi, add the boondi right before serving so that it will be crisp.