Recipe by - Carla -
Dense, sweet, slightly chewy, and filled with raisins an walnuts, these bars make a great energy-packed snack.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened to room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup raisins
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon maple extract or 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 13x9-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In small bowl, combine flour, wheat germ, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- In large bowl, with electric mixer on medium, beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg, then maple syrup, blending well.
- Stir flour mixture into wet ingredients.
- Stir in raisins and walnuts.
- Spread batter evenly in pan.
- Bake 20 minutes or until center is still soft but springs back to the touch.
- To make glaze, stir together confectioner’s sugar, milk and maple extract with fork until smooth.
- Brush onto cake while its still warm.
- Transfer pan to wire rack and cool completely.