Prep 50 mins
Cook 0 mins
These are simple and wonderful. I got the recipe from a booklet put out by Diamond Walnuts and Sunmaid Raisins. Time is approximate, and includes both preparation and baking together.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease a large cookie sheet.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla together.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Add the raisins and walnuts, and stir to blend.
- Divide the dough in half.
- Shape each half into a long loaf, about 1 1/2 inches thick.
- Place the logs onto the prepared cookie sheet.
- Flatten slightly.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until firm.
- With a sharp knife, cut the loaves diagonally into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Place the slices cut sided down back onto the cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 6 minutes, turn the cookies and bake for another 6 minutes or so until lightly browned.
- Cool on a rack.
Toast the nuts first - it's incredible how much better they will taste!
Lovely! I used raisins and apricots and it made for such a crispy Biscotti that the chewy fruit was the nicest change. I will definatly use this again.
I make biscotti frequently, but what I love about this recipe is that it has the perfect crunch (not too hard, not too crumbly). The flavor is something like Snickerdoodle cookie and the baking aroma is just amazing. One time, I glazed the finished biscotti with a thin 10x sugar glaze - they were fantastic. 7/09 ADDITION - Like other reviewers, my baking time is longer than stated. My first bake took 24-26 minutes. Also, be sure to allow the logs to cool 10 minutes before slicing them so that they don't crumble.