Recipe by joanna_giselle
This is something I made up so that I could use some leftover frozen custard I wanted to get rid of. Luckily I was inspired and it worked really well and the family loved it. I actually had banana custard in my recipe but have listed vanilla custard as it is easier to find though you could add banana essence to vanilla custard and a little yellow colouring if you like.Feel free to tinker with the recipe so that it suits the contents of your fridge.
- 8 thick slices raisin bread (I used 1cm thick cafe style)
- 250 ml full fat cream
- 2 cups vanilla custard
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 125 g fresh raspberries
- 100 g dark chocolate (roughly cut into small chunks)
- 4 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven (fan-forced) to 160 degrees Celsius.
- In a large bowl, add custard, cream, eggs and vanilla essence and whisk until combined. It should be a fairly thick cream.
- Take each slice of raisin bread and spread it with butter to the edges of the bread. Then cut into half diagonally and arrange into overlapping triangles in a 20 x 30 cm baking dish. Depending on how thick your bread is, you may need more slices to fill up the dish.
- Scatter the raspberries and chocolate chunks evenly over the bread making sure they go between the slices as well.
- Gently pour the custard-egg-cream mixture over the bread so that it fully covers the bread but the tops of the triangles are sticking up.
- Carefully place into pre-heated oven and bake for around 45 minutes. It should have set but still have a little wobble to it. Allow it cool to room temperature and serve.