Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Sweet and pungent raisins and garlic garnish the perfect tomato for a dish to serve anytime! The juicy flavors will burst into your mouth with every bite.
- 1 cup raisins
- 7 -8 garlic cloves (cut in half)
- 1 sweet red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup coconut
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 dash salt
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ginger (fresh grated)
- Soak raisins to plump in warm water 5 to 10 minutes. Drain.
- Cut garlic cloves in half. Chop red pepper.
- Drizzle olive oil over peppers, raisins, garlic and coconut and stir to cover. Add a dash of salt and roast in 375 degree oven for 30 minutes, till well roasted.
- Cut tomato tops off and scoop out centers.
- Stuff tomatoes with roasted raisin stuffing.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Grate ginger over each tomato just before serving.
It takes a lot of hard work to devise a recipe for RSC; because of this I wish I could give this dish at least another star. It certainly looks very attractive, but for us it didn't quite have that certain something. Perhaps I under seasoned the stuffing or perhaps tomatoes aren't flavoursome enough at this time of year. I had quite a bit of raisin stuffing left over so used it next day as the base for a spinach curry.
A wonderful side dish or small vegetarian dish everytime you like something, sweet with sharp notes. The recipe is easy to make. Yes, it takes some time to roast the raisins and to bake the tomatoes, but it is worthwhile the waiting. I love the sweet notes of the raisins in combination with the nutty flavor of the roasted coconut and the garlicy taste. Use very riped tomatoes for best results, because their flavour is important, like a frame to hold together the other flavours. It is easy to prepare this one for guest. Stuff the tomatoes in advance and baked them when guests are there. Hot & sweet.