Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a recipe that my mother always made to include in our school lunches. It makes a huge cake and is very nice and moist. Mom sometimes called it War Cake.
- In a saucepan, mix together margarine, brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, salt, raisins and water.
- Bring to a boil and boil gently for 5 minutes.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- To this cooled mixture, add flour, soda. Mix well.
- Place in a tube pan and bake at 350oF for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Alternatively place in individual loaf pans and reduce cooking time accordingly.